Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 02 – The ABCD learning objectives framework and effective web searches


Web searching

This week I visited NoodleTools ‘Finding the Best Search for Your Information Needs’. It provides the list of various search engines categorizing our needs and most of them are that I have never heard about before. I had to review different search engines, analyze them, and make comments about advantages and disadvantages of them for teachers and students.

Google is my main search engine and the results are mostly competent. It shows me the results listed in order of frequency and it is also convenient to find out some information with a certain file format I’m looking for.

When I visited the Noodletools, ‘Finding the Best Search for your information Needs’, vast search engines amazed me. However, I got to know that many search engines do not guarantee many credible results. It is not easy to analyze almost 10 search engines and compare them with Google.

Here are the search engines I would like to recommend:
-It gives the results based on academic resources. It also informs the results by Email and we can save them in Email. (Result delivery system)


3) WorldCat - http://www.worldcat.org/
-This is the world's network of library content and services providing information about the topic with all formats. If we enter our location, it shows the libraries in my location that have this item. If it cannot find the libraries in my location, it provides the nearest location instead.
4) Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus - http://www.merriam-webster.com/
-Its interface is clear and readable. It shows enormous information about word like other dictionaries but especially includes origin of word.

ABCD Objective

This is about the way to write learning objectives based on three categorized domains: cognitive, psychomotor, and affective.

1) Cognitive Domain (Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy):
Remembering, Understanding, Applying, Analyzing, Evaluating, Creating

2) Psychomotor Domain;
It includes objectives that require basic motor skills and/or physical movement such as construct, kick, or ski.

3) Affective Domain;
It includes objectives pertaining to attitude, appreciations, values and emotions.

In ABCD method, we have to describe Audience, Behavior, Condition, and Degree for writing learning objectives.
1) Audience: Who are your learners?
2) Behavior: What do you expect them to be able to do?
3) Condition: What will the student be given or already be expected to know to accomplish the learning?
4) Degree: How much will be accomplished?


Lesson Planning Procedure

‘Lesson Planning Procedure’ is as follows;

Identify goals and Analyzing learners Identify objectives Plan instructional activities Select media/ICT based resources Develop assessment tools Implement instruction Revise instruction

According to the ‘Lesson Planning Procedure’, identifying goals and analyzing learners are the first task to do. Before writing learning objectives, I had to analyze my students.

Sources:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex:
    I totally agree with the Lesson Planning Procedure, the starting point of a good lesson. As I (the student) don't know what you (the teacher) expect from me, I will not be able to perform according to the expectations.

    The objectives are also the starting point for the activities of the lesson. If I want my students to learn something new (and I know exactly what I want them to learn), I design a set of activities for every objective I have. My opinion is that we shouldn't have many objectives for a lesson, as it may become confusing.

    Regards
    Maryam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Maryam

    Thank you for your comment. :)
    I absolutely agree with you. As you said, we have to start the class with clear learning objectives but not with too many of them.

    Regards,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete